These uniquely colorful sushi rolls are as healthy as they are delicious. Sushi rolls are normally made with rice, but rice contains the gluten orzenin, which contributes to internal inflammation, as no human is able to properly digest gluten. The solution is to use cauliflower instead of rice, and in this case we’ve selected beautiful purple cauliflower for added color and nutrients. Not to worry, purple cauliflower is not genetically modified, nor is it injected with dye. Purple cauliflower originated in a farm in Ontario, Canada. A farmer found one small, purple cauliflower in his field of white cauliflower. He considered it special, preserved it and protected it, and began to breed it with the larger-sized white cauliflowers several times until he had an entire field of normal-sized purple cauliflowers.
How to make your own raw vegan sushi rolls with cauliflower rice
- Start with purple cauliflower if you can find it, or if not, use white cauliflower.
- Use a food processor to obtain a rice-like texture.
- Flatten it on a sheet of nori seaweed paper, leaving the last 3cm clear.
- Thinly slice an avocado and place the slices across the bottom half of the “rice”.
- Slice some orange bell pepper or another fruit or vegetable of your choice, and place them on top of the avocado.
- Place your nori sheet on top of a bamboo sushi roller and roll from the bottom up.
- Place some additional slices of avocado on top of your rolls.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and gently roll again to perfect the round shape.
- Slice your roll in half, then slice each half in half, and repeat once more for eight equal pieces.
Enjoy these raw vegan sushi rolls alone or with your favorite dipping sauce, such as soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce.